A Little Peek Into Our Lives...



Monday, February 18, 2013

Would He Share His Jacket?

Kennedy and I had a real "heart to heart" last week about boys.  She's a little shy about the subject, but definitely interested in more information. She mentioned a certain someone who she enjoys visiting with at school.  I asked her if he liked her too.  She shrugged her shoulders, grinned, and said, "I don't know."  We've spent time discussing appropriate behavior for young ladies and young men.  Specifically, Chad and I have tried to instill in her that it is normal to like boys.  However, it is not acceptable to be aggressive with boys.  It's such a fine line.  I want her to be confident, but not "that girl".  We've tried to model and point out other examples of chivalry and proper male-female interactions.  So, after considering what we've tried to teach her, I thought the "I don't know" provided an opportunity to pick her brain.  


Me:  If it was freezing cold outside, and you didn't have on a jacket but Mr.XYZ did, would he let you wear his jacket?
K:  I don't know.  My friends who are girls would because they always have two jackets.  They're just like me.  They forget to bring one home so they always have extra jackets in their lockers.
Me:  If I was standing outside in the cold, would Daddy let me wear his jacket?
K:  Of course!
Me: Why do you think he would?
K:  Because he's your HUSBAND!
Me:  Why else?
K: Because he likes you?
Me:  Because when you care about someone, you try to help. Daddy cares about my comfort and warmth.  And, because he's my HUSBAND.  

She kind of laughed and bowed out of the conversation.  I just giggled and thanked God that she was willing to talk about boys with me.  Although it is an exciting time as a mom, it is most definitely the scariest time I can remember thus far.

The next day when I picked Kennedy up from school she closed the car door, buckled her seat belt and said, "Well, I asked him."  I had no idea what she was talking about.  I said, "Asked who? What?"  She grinned and said, "I asked Mr.XYZ if it was cold outside if he would let me wear his jacket."  I smiled and said, "Well...what did he say?"  She said, "First he said he would, but then he said he wouldn't."  I was confused and said, "What?"  She said, "Well, he said he would but then he remembered that he dropped it in the ants the night before so he wouldn't want me to get ants all over me so he didn't think he would."  I smiled and asked, "So, what do you think that means?"  She blushed and said, "He probably likes me."

Again, I thanked God that she wants to talk about this delicate subject.  Again, I asked God to protect her heart and her innocence.  Again, I took the first opportunity to call her daddy and say, "Prepare yourself!  She is growing up!"

Cupid was at work on Valentine's Day.  Kennedy met me in the hall with a huge smile and a stuffed animal. After asking several questions, I figured out that a third party was involved in the conversation, but that this special guy is officially declared as "boyfriend".  Before the third party got involved in the situation, Mr.XYZ gave Kennedy a gift.  I had to ask what he said when he gave her the stuffed animal.  She looked irritated that I asked but then said, "He just handed it to me and said this is for you.  Happy Valentine's Day."

Mr.XYZ's no nonsense explanation of the gift made me giggle.  It touched a special place in my heart.  About 14 years ago, Chad gave me a gift.  It was a diamond ring.  He opened the box, pushed it toward me and said, "What do ya think?"    

Oh my!  My sweet little 5 pound, 14 ounce baby girl has become a young lady.  It is a bitter sweet time in our lives.  We don't have all the answers to these difficult questions.  However, she does have amazing men in her life, including her Daddy, Pa, Pops, and numerous uncles and friends, to watch and learn what she can expect from a young man.  How many other mothers can look their daughter in the face and honestly say, "I hope you eventually date and marry someone like your father so that you too can experience an amazing marriage"?

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet insight into your precious family! I pray to for her innocent heart - that it will stay innocent and continue to look to you for guidance. You are an amazing mother and I am so grateful you are my friend!

    ReplyDelete